I am pleased to announce that Chiron K9, LLC has been awarded approval as a Geneva International Center for Humanitarian Demining consultant partner.
The GICHD has been a clearinghouse for information related to humanitarian demining for decades. I was fortunate to be an invited member of the Animal Detection Systems forum and attended the initial workshop at the GICHD in Geneva.
This partnership provides a fast-track for submission to invitations on consulting tasks.
The Need for Poop
Chiron K9 is assisting the San Antonio Zoo’s Texas Horned Lizard Reintroduction Project by training dog/s in field survey techniques to detect and alert to the presence of Texas Horned Lizard scat (poop), eggs, skin cast, and lizards.
The aim is to provide a fast and efficient method of field surveys to increase the accuracy of detection of the presence of Texas Horned Lizards. The canine teams will assist surveys by:
- Searching areas and determining if there is an existing Texas Horned Lizard population
- Searching areas to monitor released Texas horned Lizards ability to maintain population post-release
- To locate specimens for use in research/breeding program
WHY HELP US
The Texas Horned Lizard is the State Reptile, in one generation people have seen a reduction in sightings in communities. Take part in reversing the trend and let’s do our part to get the lizards back into all parts of Texas.
- Only collect Texas Horned Lizard Poop – See photos video for examples
- Do not touch samples – Use clean tweezers, plastic disposable gloves
- Use glass jar – Must be cleaned prior to use
- Store in fridge or freezer – Maintains freshness and preserves scent
- Do not touch/disturb Lizards
- Contact me once you have samples – Paul@Chiron-K9.com
- This is voluntary